Creative Jumpstart 2021

Creative Jumpstart 2021
Join me for the 10th Anniversary of CJS2021

Thursday, June 14

the Whatevers -- are you ready?

I am so excited to introduce you to The Whatevers - a creative story telling project by Nat Kalbach, Vicki Chrisman and me. We've been planning, designing and mostly giggling about this project for the last 2 months or so. It's so much fun I'm already working on July and August -- I'm NEVER that far ahead of myself!

What all three of us have in common (besides enjoying each others company, creating art and having a blast) is the love for vintage photos, whether it be family treasures or the found ones -- you know the ones that have no story. They are the most intriguing ones to me.


Have you ever been to a flea market and then had this weird sensation of those faces from long ago times looking at you? Sometimes you find a little trace of the history on those photos, the name and city of the photographer, a scribbled note or year on the back of the photo...but that is it. There is no more ....Really...no more? They are forgotten as long as they have no name and no story...but no longer.

Here's the cover for my Whatevers Story Book. I took 12 pieces of 9" x 12" Strathmore Mixed Media paper --- 140 lb., along with two heavy duty chipboard covers to Staples and had them punch them for a coil bound book and brought them home without putting the binding on.

Then I got to work creating the fun cover using my two sweeties. Once the covers were all fancy and colorful I wound the coil in there and I was ready to get to work. I can't help but admire it and take it with me as I plan and scheme the lifes of my Whatevers.

I love working with the Strathmore paper - it's perfect for the Mixed Media treatments I'm using to create my story on each month. It's going to end up like a sweet picture book for adults. Art, laughs and maybe a few tears in the end -- the perfect bedtime story.



Here is how it works
  • Vicki, Nat and I have made a one-year commitment to each other and picked twelve photos with Whatevers whom we will give a story.
  • Every month - if possible always on the 15th -  each of us will do a post with an individual story that goes along for us with the same photo.
  • If you want you can play along and we will have the photo for you to download and show us your version of The Whatevers.
  • There is no rules to the story itself- it can be funny, sad, uplifting, breathtaking- WHATEVER
  • There is no rules on the length or the form of the story- it can be a short sentence, an essay, a poem or a soap opera - WHATEVER
  • There is no rules on the artform you choose - it can be a scrapbook layout, an altered art project, an artjournal page - WHATEVER
  • Here is a rule though: if you take the photo you have to link back to us and show us your story.
  • These pictures are from our personal stash and are for personal use for you only! If you want to use them for a publication whether a book or magazine in print or digital form please ask for permission!
  • If you want to participate we'll have a linky list for each Whatever Post.
  • You can also join our The Whatevers -Facebook Page
The first Whatever Post will be up tomorrow - make sure to check out our blogs :)

4 comments:

  1. Love this concept and going to give it a whirl...genius idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO excited about this project. I hope to play along, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really fun, collaborative yet individual project. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found this challenge...and if it is not too late I would love to give this a go!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate your sweet comments and thank you for taking the time to drop me a line.